Should I Do Individual or Group Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy?
Depending on your need, preferences and resources, you have the option of doing cognitive-behavioral therapy to help you overcome your social anxiety in one-on-one individual work or in specialized social anxiety CBT groups. Both individual and group CBT are, on average, equally effective, according to outcome studies. But depending on the person, group and individual each offer different advantages:
Advantages of Individual CBT for Social Anxiety
• Much more flexible in scheduling of sessions, and in the frequency and duration of therapy
• Much more individualized attention and assistance from therapist
• Can work on other concerns in addition to social anxiety
• You will probably feel less anxious in session
Advantages of Social Anxiety CBT Groups
• Less expensive
• Identify with others who share similar problems, and feel less alone
• Support others and be supported by others, which tends to feel good
• Do many in-session and homework experiments with other group members
• Make friends with people who share a common therapy experience (which is a good way to keep making progress after group is over)
• You will probably will feel more anxious in session, which is a great opportunity to learn how to overcome your anxiety in a safe setting
How to Get Help for Social Anxiety
The National Social Anxiety Center is a national association of regional clinics with certified cognitive therapists specializing in social anxiety and anxiety-related problems. We have compassionate therapists who can help you to reduce social anxiety. Currently, we have regional clinics in San Francisco, District of Columbia, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, New York City, Chicago, Newport Beach / Orange County, Houston / Sugar Land, St. Louis, Phoenix, South Florida, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Des Moines, San Diego, Baltimore, Louisville, Louisville, Philadelphia, and Montgomery County, Maryland / Northern Virginia. Contact our national headquarters at (202) 656-8566 or visit our Regional Clinics contact page to find help in your local area.